Hospital

ST. BENEDICT'S HOSPITAL NDANDA

 

From the very start of the Benedictine mission in the southern Tanzania, it was clear that care for the sick was part and parcel of evangelization. It is not surprising, then, that at Ndanda, right from the beginning, the early missionaries were urged to attend to the sick people. In so doing, they believed the message of Christ’s love would reach all people without excluding believers from nonbelievers. The more systematic care for the sick in Ndanda was done by the Benedictine Missionaries Sisters of Tutzing.

 

 

This goes as far back as early 1900. Care for the sick included treatment for poisoning, malaria, leprosy, etc. Already before the Second World War, Ndanda had developed a moderately modern hospital of its time due to the efforts of Sr. Theckla Stinnesbeck. In cooperation with the Benedictine Sisters the Ndanda Hospital was completely rebuilt. Now it has 300 beds, new operation facility and a well functioning pharmacy – thanks to our benefactors. Though somewhat overcrowded, it is better equipped than most hospitals in the southern region of Tanzania and functions somehow as a referring hospital for the Lindi and Mtwara regions.

 




Right:  The hospital has a well established Dental department, thanks to our benefactors. In this picture a dental specialist of the hospital treats one of evercoming patients. 


Left: a midwife Nurse assitant at the hospital welcomes a new born baby to  the world while the baby's mother looks on.

 

 

 

                                                                                                      Hospital's Website or  Humphreys blog.        << Back